follow me on Twitter

    Moving offices

    One of the long standing jokes in my career as a video game producer, has been the number of jobs I've had. I'm sure I can make a direct connection from the number of houses I've lived in, and my willingness to change jobs. That is one of the ideas I'm hoping to explore more as time and houses goes on.

    But moving an office isn't nearly as traumatic as moving a house. At one point within SEGA I had eleven different business cards. That's a combination of promotions and the office moving. One set of cards was printed because someone higher up decided that I needed my name translated into Japanese characters and printed on the back of my card. Since several others had the same title and position, I assumed I wasn't the only guy with new cards... my mistake. It was ONLY me and to this day I have no idea why.

    Also at Sega we moved from really awful offices in So. San Francisco, to big swanky building in Redwood City. I was the only IT guy at the time and when I finally got all the PC's connected and happy... I looked around, we had only 4 empty cubes. I asked the big boss how long we were planning on staying here, and the answer was: "Years". I said: "And Product Development will only hire 4 people in that time?". Product Development moved again, new set of cards printed for all, within 30 days.

    Maybe if I had address labels printed for each house move, I'd feel the pain much differently.

    Mac

    0 comments:

    Blogger Templates by Blog Forum